Reorganizing the front flower bed
When we moved here this flower bed was so over grown, that a lot of the flowers couldn’t break through the ground. This is the second time we have broken the lilies apart and replanted them with more space between each bunch. Last year I watered the beds with a manure water mixture once a week. It was a shock to us how much the root system had grown. Apparently the flowers liked all that extra fertilizer and had grown 10 fold. Now I know why I couldn’t dig them up myself with a hand shovel yesterday.
I had to ask Hubby to do the digging today. We put 40 liters of dirt into the bed as well. We plan to let the dirt settle and add dried horse manure and more dirt later. You can see how huge their root system has grown. I guess those flowers will take over the flower bed this year. We have daffodils, forget me knots, tulips and poppies in there as well.I know there is more flowers but I don’t know their names. I had planned to put thyme, rosemary, cilantro, curry, melissa citronella and chives in there as well. Now I don’t know if I will have enough space because these lilies become quite bushy when full-grown. I like them because they bloom a long time. The leaves stay green well into the fall. I have a rhubarb which we have planned to replant in the vegetable garden with our strawberries.